Sunday, February 12, 2012

Whitney Houston : 1963 - 2012

It was the Summer of 1993. I was dating this guy that I knew was so wrong for me for so many reasons. I was dating him for all the wrong reasons too. Basically, I was with this guy just so that I could feel good about myself, so that I can say I was with someone. I knew this relationship was not gonna last long, so I just went thru the paces. I treated him to dinner dates. I bought him clothes. I tolerated all his 'bad habits'. And by 'bad habits', I mean his various drug habits. I took him to a SADE concert. I even treated him to an all-paid trip to New York City. It was my 1st trip to New York and I didn't want to go alone. Yet, while on the trip I did feel all alone. I guess the one good thing that come out of the New York trip was that I realized I loved Broadway musicals. On this trip we saw CATS. It was my 1st Broadway show. And I have been hooked ever since. So I guess some good can come out of a bad situation.

So over the summer of 1993, while I was dating this guy, The Bodyguard soundtrack was playing everywhere. And I do mean EVERYWHERE. You remember, don't you? It seemed like everyone owned a copy of that soundtrack, my boyfriend included. He would play that album every time we were together. At his place, at my place, in my car. Everywhere. Every time.

As the relationship started to end that summer, I had grown tired of The Bodyguard soundtrack and the number one song from that album, I Will Always Love You. I got so tired of that song that I started to hate the song. I mean HATE the Whitney Houston version. At the time, I knew Houston had a great voice and had recorded a good version of the song. I justified my hatred of that recording by saying that Dolly Parton's original recording was more emotional and that it didn't need all the dramatic phrasing that Houston's version had. I believe that less was more. I just didn't want anything to do with The Bodyguard and Whitney Houston. By the Fall of 1993, I had ended the relationship and I had moved on.


On February 11th 2012, Whitney Houston was found dead in a Beverly Hilton Hotel room. She was 48 years old. It was the night before the 54th Annual Grammy Awards ceremony. As news spread thru-out the night of Houston's death, I decided to go thru my CD collection to find some Whitney Houston music. I was a fan of her 80's recordings. Guess what I found in my collection? The Bodyguard soundtrack. How did I end up with this CD? I think I took my ex-boyfriend's copy when we broke up as pay-back for making me listen to it non-stop during the Summer of 1993. Too bad for him, too good for me.

As I started to listen to the CD, I realized why I hated this recording back in 1993. It wasn't because I thought Houston was over-rated on this recording or that it was over-produced and excessively over-hyped. I hated the recording because it was a reminder of the relationship I was in. I didn't hate Whitney Houstin and The Bodyguard soundtrack. I hated the guy I was dating. Talk about dis-placed anger. I guess we have to do those things in order to maintain some sense of humanity. At that time, I chose to hate a music recording instead of hating myself for being in a bad relationship with a horrible person. Now I can appreciate The Bodyguard soundtrack for what it truly is. Its an amazing rendition of a beautifully written song sung by one of music's greatest talents at the height of her carrear. It just that simple. I realized I was wrong. I realized that I loved Whitney Houston's version of I Will Always Love You.

I guess over time, with age, with maturity, we realize our faults and we try to improve ourselves. Unfortunately for some, that lesson is never learned and a huge price is paid. I wished that Whitney Houston had over-come her addictions and had made a true come-back and had restored her voice to how it was in her prime. I guess that was not meant to be. But on this sad day, we can reflect on what we have and cherish the fact that Houston left behind an amazing music legacy.

I sure you've been listening to this song all weekend, and you should. It truly is an amazing performance. Whitney Houston, you will be missed.




John

No comments:

Post a Comment