Saturday, July 31, 2010

I Love Harry Connick, Jr...

Now don't take this the wrong way. This is merely a fan's response to the product produced by an artist. But let me tell you, it took me awhile to 'get into' Connick. In the beginning, as we all know, Connick began his career out of New Orleans. His big break came with the soundtrack to WHEN HARRY MEET SALLY. While I liked his singing, I was not completely impressed with his 'persona' or the way he came across in interviews and public appearances. Now, this is PURELY my perception of the man at the time. Maybe because he was young and cocky. Maybe I thought he was trying too hard to be the next Sinatra (or maybe it was his management that was trying too hard???). But for some reason, I didn't click with the whole Connick package.


Then in 1990, Connick started making movies. Memphis Belle, Little Man Tate, Copycat, Independence Day, Hope Floats and The Iron Giant are just some of the films where Connick was able to show his talents. I think becoming an actor not only serves to expand your fan base, but it helps develop a personality. I think more than anything, films helped Connick become more famous, well known and well liked.


Then in 2002, Connick made another move: guest appearing on the WILL & GRACE sitcom. This role, more than his films & music I think, open the doors wide for Connick. At first I wasn't sure this was a good move. I thought this was gimmick casting. But after a couple episodes, I discovered something: Connick is FUNNY! Seeing him in this role made me realize that Connick, like any other developing star, needed time to find his persona. There are only a handful of stars who have set a persona from day one of their careers: Sinatra, Presley, Cher, Madonna...you get the point. Over the years, Connick seems to have relaxed. He seems more care-free. He seems more REAL now more than ever.

But the setting that suits Connick the best is when he appears on talk shows. From Ellen to Craig Ferguson to American Idol, he just enjoys being in the moment. Every time that Connick appears on Ellen Degeneres' show I am laughing so hard. Connick just goes crazy and never lets up. Want proof? Check this clip out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hu09Vo8JCg

I have never seen Connick so funny, so free and so human. His appearance on the past season of American Idol was also funny. Plus he connected with the contestants and helped them become better singers and performers. Take a look at Connick's appearance on American Idol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQZAOfMi8CA

So what I am trying to say? I think it takes time to 'judge a book by its cover'. In today's mass produce and instant gratifying culture, stars don't take the time, or effort, to evolve and grow over time. We get the same re-hash time after time. To see someone like Connick grow and develop over time and not become some one-note singer is so rare these days. There's a certain Canadian signer who has built his career by keeping the traditions of the Great American Songbook alive, while mixing in elements of Pop music. For the most part I think he is a great singer...on CD. But when this signer is on stage or on TV, he becomes a gimmick and his singing loses passion and soul. And when he does interviews he becomes cocky and annoying. In the past few years, this singer has put out recordings that sounded the same without depth or feeling. Yet somehow millions of people buy his CD's. You don't know how much this annoys me! But that's a subject for another blog!


I wish more singers and actors would take a page out of Harry Connick's book. I wish more celebrities were multi-faceted, like those from the golden age of entertainment. Remember those? You don't hear the phrase 'Star of Screen, Stage and Music' like you used to. I'm glad Connick is keeping that tradition alive.

So Harry, keep up the great work, make great music, make more films and keep us laughing on TV in between everything else you do!

John



No comments:

Post a Comment