Monday, August 30, 2010

Madonna Music Monday - 08/30/2010

If there is one thing that I worship as much as Disney, if not more, its my love for Madonna. In the beginning, I loved EVERYTHING about Madonna: music, movies, videos, posters, toys, books, her history, her life style, you name it. I have tons of Madonna collectibles that I have obtained over the years. But over the years, I have slowed down in my collecting and concentrated more on the music, the most important aspect of Madonna's career. Every Monday, I only listen to Madonna music while I'm at work. Sometimes its a specific album, or a live recording or maybe its a play list of my favorite Madonna ballads. But I ALWAYS listen to Madonna on Mondays. That's why I call it Madonna Music Mondays.

People will ask me: "What's your FAVORITE Madonna song or video?" Well, that's like asking a parent which one of their children is their favorite. It depends on the mood I'm in. It changes all the time. Today, my favorite Madonna song is an "oldie but goodie". Today it's DRESS YOU UP, from the Like A Virgin album.


When I first heard this song, I fell in love with it instantly. The layered instruments at the beginning of the song, the great drum machine programming, the killer synthesizer, great pop lyrics and Madonna's singing complete the package. But what put this song over the edge for me was the live version as performed on Madonna's Virgin Tour of 1985.  This song opened Madonna's tour. The song was released at the height of 'Madonna Mania' in the summer of 1985. When I saw the video of this song, you can tell from Madonna's performance that she was determine to entertain the crowd and put on an amazing concert. Here for your viewing pleasure is the official live video of Dress You Up:



As you can tell, this is a very 80's video. Look at all the girls in the video. This is when every one wanted to dress and look like Madonna. You know, the "Wanna Be's". Do you remember that? But that's another reason why I love this song. It does take me back to that time. I was a sophomore in high school. My friend invited me to go with him to the concert in Chicago. However my very strict parents, well mostly my Father, thought I was too young to go to concerts. So my concert experience with Madonna would have to wait two more years.

So for today, Dress You Up is my favorite Madonna song. Check back next week and see what becomes my favorite Madonna song. And remember:

Gonna dress you up in my love, in my love
All over your body, all over your body
In my love
All over, all over
From your head down to your toes...

John

1 comment:

  1. I've always liked this one. I love concert videos! They offer a totally different vibe than a produced and packaged music video.

    ReplyDelete