Saturday, August 7, 2010

You're Going to Disney...AGAIN?...WHY???

I'm sure you've been in this situation: a friend, a family member or an acquaintance asks "So where are you going on your vacation?" To which you reply DISNEY. At this point, you get the LOOK. And you know what look I'm talking about. The look that says YOU ARE CRAZY. The LOOK is then followed by "AGAIN?" and "WHY?" Why would any person take repeated trips to Disneyland or Walt Disney World or to any of its international theme parks. What is it about Disney theme parks that requires repeated visits, year after year. Even multiple visits a year. And in my case, visits to Disney parks on BOTH coasts in the SAME YEAR! Why do I keep going back, time after time. Haven't I "done it all, seen it all?" Well maybe, but that's not the reason why I re-visit Disney. It goes much deeper than "I really love riding the spinning Mad Tea Cups!" It has more to do with why I feel 'connected' with Disney and what Disney represents to me over the course of my life. I'm not saying I have an obsession with Disney, thou others would. I'm just saying that for me its more than just animated films, happy songs and Mickey Mouse. And YES, I REALLY LOVE riding the spinning Mad Tea Cups!!!


So where did it start? What's my 1st connection with the 'Disney Magic'? Being born in 1969 might explain this. I was pretty much raised on classic Disney films: Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Dumbo, Mary Poppins and my personal favorites Peter Pan & Pinocchio. As I grew older, I watched more Disney films, was a regular viewer of The Wonderful World of Disney on TV and I liked to listen to songs from various Disney films and cartoons. I still have a Disney LP (you know a vinyl record) that has songs like Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf, Give A Little Whistle, The Un-Birthday Song and more. I used to play that record all the time. At least every weekend. But if I were to pin-point the 1st moment that something Disney connected with me, it had to be when I was 10 years ago and vacationing with my family in Mexico.

My parents are from Mexico. Every year we would take trips to Mexico to visit and stay with my father's family. This included an aunt, an uncle and a grandmother. Now my aunt was really sweet. She used to take my sister and I shopping all over Monterrey, Mexico. She would buy us toys, candy, books and other things. This particular year, we had taken the Greyhound bus to get to Mexico and back. On the day we were set to leave, my family and my aunt did some last minute shopping. There was an open market next to the bus station. As we were walking around, I found a ceramic Pinocchio money bank. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I wanted to get it so badly. But for some reason my mom did not want to buy it. At the bus station, we started to say bye to my aunt. As I said bye to her, she handed me a newspaper wrapped package. She told me to be careful with it. She had bought the Pinocchio bank for me. This is probably one of the most cherished things I own. 

When I look at this Pinocchio money bank now, I think about a lot of things. I think about my aunt who gave it to me. I think about Disney. I think about Mexico. I think about my youth. I think about my father, who has passed away. Who knew one item could hold so much baggage?


As I grew older, things changed. I think 'life' just happened and took over. The 80's happened. I realized I was gay. Madonna came into my life and became my other life's obsession. More about that on a later blog. I didn't stop loving Disney, it was just put on the back burner.

But then in 1989 something happened that made me re-connect with my love for Disney. The Little Mermaid film was released that year. Its fair to say that because of this film, Disney was given a new lease on life and it has become the "Disney" that we know today. The Little Mermaid reminded everyone what it takes to become a classic film: great story, great songs, great villains, humor and the triumph of good over evil. The fact the movie has the feel of a Broadway musical to it only makes it that much better. Not only was I interested in seeing the movie, but I was also interested in the elements that went into making the movie. Who directed the film? Who wrote the music for the film? Who was the singer singing Ariel's songs? Was the character of Ursula based on real-life drag queen singer Divine? These are the questions I wanted answers to. This is when I knew I became a 'Disney Dork'.


As much as I loved Disney, the idea of my parents taking my sister and I to Disney World was never an option. My father liked to travel, but not a big scale. No cross-country trips for us. My family only made two trips a year: the trip to Mexico to visit family and a summer trip to near-by Wisconsin Dells. A co-worker of my father's told him he should take us to 'The Dells' because they had water parks, shopping, carnivals, water shows and much more. I've been going to the Dells for 30 years.

In 1990, I made my first trip to Walt Disney World. It was only a matter of time that I would figure out how I would do it. It turned out two of my friends wanted to go to Orlando for a vacation. Disney World, Universal Studios and Bush Gardens were on the agenda. I didn't think visiting the Magic Kingdom was going to be such an emotional experience for me. Right before the trip I was having some relationship issues. The trip was going to serve as a distraction to what was going on in my life. No such luck.


I clearly remember the day we went to the Magic Kingdom. We picked up our tickets. We walked over to the turnstiles. We went thru them. And I stood in front of the Mickey Mouse flower bed. I read the sign that is located above the railroad station. THE MAGIC KINGDOM. Without thinking, I dropped to my knees and I kissed the ground. I stood up and started walking under the train tracks. In tears. I was finally HERE. I was at The Happiest Place on Earth. From that moment on, I entered into another level of Disney worship. I was finally seeing with my own eyes, hearing with my own ears and touching with my own hands what I had seen and heard on TV. The Disney Dork was at his dorkiest. From that moment on, my two friends will tell this story to anyone who has the time to listen. You gotta have friends like that.


From that trip I learned to yell on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. I laughed on the Mad Tea Cups. I saw ghosts hitch a ride in the Haunted Mansion. I screamed LOUDLY on Space Mountain because I thought I was gonna lose my head. I went treasure hunting on the Pirates of the Caribbean. And I re-connected with my childhood friends: Peter Pan, Dumbo and Winnie the Pooh. From then on, I always wanted to be at The Happiest Place on Earth. And for awhile, I was.

So I did make a few more trips back to Disney World in the early 90's. But I only visited the Magic Kingdom and Disney-MGM Studios, as it was known back then. I visited Epcot once, and that was because I wanted to see Captain EO staring Michael Jackson. I was stupid about touring the parks back then. I've since learned my lesson.

Well by the mid 90's Life had taken over...again. I was not in a relationship, I was busy 'enjoying life' and another city with a major attraction had won my heart: New York City and Broadway. I used to visit New York two, maybe three times a year, just to see as many Broadway shows as I could. It was a crazy time for me. I seemed to be going no-where fast. I finally got my act together. I finally settled down into a steady relationship. I was finally happy again.

After some time, it was time to re-visit Disney World. My partner thought a trip to Walt Disney World would be good since he had never been and it had been awhile for me. We decided on a 5 day trip, staying at the All-Star Music resort visiting the week after Thanksgiving of 2004. We had done our homework this time. We were gonna visit all four parks. We were gonna attend Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. We were gonna attend the Candlelight Processional in Epcot. We were gonna see the Osbourne Festival of Lights. We were going to do some shopping at Downtown Disney. This is when I realized that Disney had changed a lot since my trips in the early 90's and that there was so much more to see and experience.


Walt Disney once said that "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world." This holds true for all the Disney parks. Its easy for me to tell people the reason I keep going back to Disney World, and now Disneyland, is because they do have new rides and attractions that weren't there on my previous trips. But the truth of the matter is that when I visit a Disney park, its like being at home. Disney has been a major part of my life. From the movies, the music, the TV shows and now its theme parks. And the fact that there's a place that is a physical extension of my memories and my feelings is truly amazing. Since 2004, I have been to Disney World seven times and I have been to Disneyland three times, with my fourth trip coming up in October. When I go on a Disney vacation, I do feel that I leave the real world behind and I'm going somewhere happy and magical. I won't say that it 'completes me'. My family, friends and love ones do that. But it does provide immense happiness and comfort when I'm there.

So exactly what point was I trying to make? That I'm a Disney Dork? I think that's very clear. That I could never get enough of Disney? Yea that too. The fact is, if something makes you happy time and time again, then so be it. People should not ask "Why?", they should just say "Good for YOU!" I do have friends and family members that wish me a good time on every trip I take. I visited Disney World this past July with my 9yo niece. It was hot and rainy most of the time. But we did a lot fun things together. Most importantly, we made some great memories together. That just made the whole experience so much rewarding. And for me, that's why I will continue to go on Disney trips, time and time again.

John

2 comments:

  1. I think that a number of us have the same sort of disney story of how our love grew. Being in the UK took me a little longer to get to the parks but now regularly visit Disneyland Paris, WDW and this year - Hongkong! The walk into the magic kingdom be it Paris or Orlando always makes me cry - I feel I am home. Wonder if it feels the same in HK

    Thanks for writing your story John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post! I love that Disney brings out in me what this world and life shoves deep down into my soul. I feel at peace when I go there, reconnect with my family, and most of all.. feel like a kid again. Too much time passes between trips, and I wish I lived nearer to WDW. I KNOW I'd be one of those fans that are season pass holders, and would go at every opportunity I could get. Some folks don't get it, and that's fine. It's their loss, and I'll gladly take in their share of what they're missing.

    ReplyDelete