Tuesday, March 29, 2011

My Disney Collection...03/29/2011

So everyone knows I'm a big Disney fan. A BIG DISNEY FAN! I love Disney movies, Disney music, Disney ice shows, Disney history and of course Disney theme parks. I also collect various Disney items. Posters, pins, figures, art work and more. So I thought I would share what I have in my collection. Mind you, while I am a Disney Dork, I don't buy EVERY Disney item I see. If I did, I would never leave the theme parks and certain people in my house-hold would never speak to me again!!! LOL!!!

So for this 1st installment, I would like to present a 1971 Walt Disney World Glass Bowl Ashtray:


As we know, Walt Disney World open on October 1st, 1971. At that time, the Magic Kingdom was the only Disney theme park in Florida. From the panels on this ashtray, you can see seven images that represent Walt Disney World at that time.


The top panel details the steamboat Osceola. This is one of the ferry boats that carries people from the main Transportation and Ticket Center to the Magic Kingdom. In the background, you can see the Contemporary Resort, the first hotel to open at Disney World.


The next panel details the classic Disney attraction It's A Small World which is located in Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom.


The next panel depicts the area known as Liberty Square. In this land, you will find the Hall of Presidents attraction.


The fourth panel shows one of my favorite attractions at any Disney park, the Jungle Cruise boat ride. This attraction is located in Adventureland at the Magic Kingdom.


This panel above details the area known as Main Street U.S.A. It is the first thing you see as you enter the Magic Kingdom.


In the panel shown above, you see a Disney World tram exiting the Contemporary Resort. When this resort opened, it had a very futuristic look and feel to it. Over time, it has become more "contemporary".


And in the center space, you have an image show-casing Cinderella's Castle, one of the most recognized places at Walt Disney World, located at the center of the Magic Kingdom.

As you look at the ashtray, you notice that the panels are arranged just like the various 'land' sections are arranged at the Magic Kingdom. You have the castle in the center and the various lands spike out from the center. I love anything that is 'retro' and this ashtray is so retro. I also love the art-work used. You can see details in each panel. My two favorite panels are the Small World and Jungle Cruise panels. I found this ashtray about a year ago at an second-hand store. I think I paid a couple of bucks for it. I've seen similar ashtrays on Ebay for around $15-$20. So I guess I got a deal on this. Either way, I just LOVE this ashtray. I'm trying to find a matching Disneyland ashtray, but so far no luck. So for now, I'm happy with what I have. Thanks for letting me share.


John

3 comments:

  1. DUDE! I just bought one of these in Goodwill!! A bargain at 2.00!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...that's too funny!!! Good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had one too, don't know where's is at now, but bought it too, but in 1974 at Disney World in Orlando.

    ReplyDelete