Sunday, September 19, 2010

Disneyland: My First Visit...

I've been visiting Walt Disney World for 20 years now. However, my first trip to Disneyland didn't happen until Labor Day weekend 2006. At the time, a good friend of mine, another Disney fanatic, was hired as a Disney Cast Member at the recently opened Disney Vacation Club offices in suburban Schaumburg, IL. With her job, she got tons of Disney perks. She was itching to try out her benefits. She, like I, had not yet visited Disneyland. So we started planning a trip. This was going to be amazing. We would spend 5 days touring Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure.


It was perfect timing when we planned our trip: we would be visiting Disneyland during its 50th Anniversary celebration. My friend and I took separate flights to Anaheim and were staying at separate hotels. Her benefits got her a room at the Disneyland Hotel while I used my family benefits to stay at the Sheraton Park Plaza Hotel.


I arrived in Anaheim before my friend did, around noon time. As I was settling into my room, my friend called saying she had just checked into the Disneyland Hotel. She told me to come over when I was ready. So I got my stuff together and headed over to her hotel.

I took a quick 5 minute taxi ride from my hotel to the Disneyland Hotel. While my hotel is walking distance to the main entrance plaza of Disneyland, I did not want to see any part of Disneyland until I was with my friend.


As I visited my friend in her Disneyland Hotel room, I couldn't keep my eyes off the decor in the room. The room was recently re-modeled and updated with new furniture. All the wood furniture was detailed with carvings showing the original concept Disneyland park map. From the head-boards to the chairs. But the one piece of furniture that really amazed me was the giant armoire in the room that stores the TV. Its just beautiful. And the etching of the Disneyland park on it really is impressive. Here is a pic of that armoire:


After visiting my friend's hotel room, our group gets ready to head into Disneyland (my friend brought her mother and son along on this trip). We walk out the back entrance of the hotel and see the Peter Pan themed hotel pool. We also see the Hook's Pointe, The Lost Bar and Croc's Bits 'n' Bites. Since its now early afternoon, we decide to get a quick bite to eat. I ordered the adult chicken tender meal, which was HUGE. One order could easily feed two people. The Lost Bar faces a small pond that had remote-controlled Jungle Cruise themed mini boats. Too bad all these places have now been demolished. After our meal, we headed to Downtown Disney and Disneyland.


As we walk thru Downtown Disney, I am taking in the lay-out of shopping district. I'm also checking out what kind of stores and eateries are located here. I see the House of Blues, Tortilla Jo's, ESPN Zone, Rainforest Cafe and Napolini. I'm surprised to see Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen. I go to New Orleans often and I think the Brennan restaurants are very good.



As we continue to walk, we see many more retail shops and eateries. We then come upon an alternative entrance to the Grand Californian Hotel. This hotel is very beautiful. Plus I love that the hotel is right in the middle of the Downtown shopping district and that it has its own separate entrance to Disney's California Adventure theme park. As we walk past the Grand Californian, we see up ahead the World of Disney Store.


This is one HUGE store. Seeing a Disney Store always makes me happy. I look forward to buying tons of souvenirs in this store. One of the window displays is showcasing all the items available for the 50th anniversary. I'm sure I ended up buying one of everything. As we walk past the store, we see the security checkpoint that leads to the theme park entrances.


After going thru security, we are HERE!!! We are in the main entrance plaza of Disneyland and California Adventure. We all just stand in the center of the plaza taking in the view and taking pictures and video tapping. Its almost surreal the feeling I have. After seeing many Disneyland programs on TV, I can't believe I'm actually here and seeing Disneyland with my own eyes.


After taking many pictures, we finally go thru the turnstiles and are officially inside Disneyland. There are tons of activity as people are trying to take pictures in front of the Mickey flower bed. Fairy Godmother is taking pictures with guests nearby. You instantly feel the excitement in the air. You would think that after visiting the Magic Kingdom for many years, I would be used to be being at a Disney park. But for some reason, Disneyland has a very distinct feeling to it. Maybe because its the ORIGINAL Disney park. Maybe its because Disneyland is the only park Walt Disney actually walked thru when he was alive. As we start to walk under the railroad train tracks, I look up and I see a familiar site. Its the plaque with the words Walt Disney spoke on the opening day of Disneyland. I know I'm about to have a very Magical adventure.


As we walk past the train station I look to my left and I see the Disneyland Fire Department. We get closer and we look to the second floor window of the station. And in the sunlight I can see very clearly what I'm looking for: Walt Disney's apartment lamp. The lit lamp represents the sprite of Walt Disney. And in many ways, I feel Walt Disney is still with us. I stare at the lamp for a few more minutes and I say to myself "Thank You Walt Disney".  


As we turn to walk down Main Street, I hear music and cheering. I look at my watch and see it's just past 3pm. It must be time for the Parade of Dreams parade. We decide to sit curb-side and watch the parade. You knew the 1st thing we would do in Disneyland would be to catch the parade. But it just seemed the perfect thing to do.


After the parade was over, we started walking down Main Street towards the Main Hub. And there before us is the center piece of the park: Sleeping Beauty's Castle. Yes, of course I think the castle looks small, or at least smaller than Cinderella's Castle from the Magic Kingdom. But that doesn't matter. I just know its the castle that Disney built. It's the first castle. This is where it all began. And for that I am very, very, very happy.


John

No comments:

Post a Comment