Monday, September 6, 2010

Madonna Music Monday - 09/06/2010

Happy Labor Day!!! Well I hope that everyone is enjoying their day off with barbeque's and picnics. I spent yesterday with great friends, having drinks, eating and just having a good time. Actually, the whole weekend was like that. So I was thinking what would be a fitting Madonna song to help celebrate the holiday. Today, I choose Madonna's cover of the Don McLean song American Pie.


The song is a recounting of "The Day the Music Died" — the 1959 plane crash that killed Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper. Madonna's version was used to promote the film The Next Best Thing released in March 2000. Her cover is much shorter than the original (it contains only the beginning of the first verse and all of the second and sixth verses) and was recorded as a pop-dance song. Don McLean himself praised the cover, saying it was "a gift from a goddess", and that her version is "mystical and sensual." I admit, its one of my favorite Madonna covers.

The video of the song depicts a diverse array of Americans. It shows what America is made of. The images of the people are very touching and moving, and you can tell Madonna is proud to be a 'Modern American'. Madonna doesn't try to hit you on the head with her message, its very subtle. Here is the video to Madonna's version:



Some people took offense to Madonna 'gyrating' in front of the American flag and thought her video was too 'tongue in cheek'. I do think Madonna is enjoying herself in the video, but I just say Madonna is being 'Madonna'. I think everyone, on this special day, should take a moment to be thankful of what they have and be thankful that they live in a country that offers so much to its citizens, and to those around the world. Have a good and safe Labor Day holiday.

John

1 comment:

  1. Very cool. I've never seen that video before. Pretty moving!

    ReplyDelete